Courses | Fees and enrolment | Accreditations


What type of courses are offered by the Centre and in which languages?

Since March 2020, we have been giving all our courses online through video conferences and the Virtual Campus. We offer annual courses (100 or 50 hours), four-month courses (60 or 50 hours), intensive courses and workshops (50, 30 or 10 hours):

  • Annual and four-month courses – from October to May.
  • Intensive courses – July and September.
  • Preparation for the official CAMBRIDGE exams (Preliminary, First, Advanced y Proficiency).
  • Intensive preparation courses for the LINGUASKILL, DELF/DALF, CELI and TOPIK exams.
  • Courses for Administrative and Services Personnel (PAS), Teaching and Research Personnel (PDI) and Trainee Researchers (PIF) – from October to May.
  • Korean for Beginners and Japanese Calligraphy workshops.
  • English Language Immersion courses – July/August.

Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Korean* and Japanese*.

*only annual courses

What are the Course + Official Exam packages?

Students enroled on English courses of 60 hours or more at B1, B2, C1 and C2 levels, can opt for packages combining a discount on the course fee and enrolment for a Cambridge Assessment English official exam during 2020/21. Students who enrol on a B1 level English course and who want to take the PET exam, can opt for the B1 COURSE + Preliminary package. Students who enrol on a B2 level English course can opt for the B2 COURSE + First package. Students who enrol on a C1 level English course can opt for the C1 COURSE + Advanced package. Students who enrol on a C2 level English course, can opt for the C2 COURSE + Proficiency package. Students enroling on any of the 100-hour English courses during the 2020-2021 academic year, can opt for the 100-hour COURSE + Linguaskill Cambridge Assessment English exam.

Students enroling on a 100-hour B1 level French course can opt for the COURSE + DELF B1 package. Students enroling on a 100-hour B1 level Italian course can opt for the COURSE + CELI B1 package.

Similarly, students taking a 30-hour English, French or Italian exam preparation course for Linguaskill, DELF and CELI at B1 level, can opt for the 30-hour B1 COURSE + LINGUASKILL/ DELF/CELI package.

To take advantage of any of these packages, they must be chosen when enroling. See Fees.

Do the language courses carry ECTS credits?

Yes, the Language Centre courses carry 1 ECTS credit for every 25 teaching hours for students at the UMA. Students must attend at least 80% of the classes.

Can I take language courses if I'm not enroled at the UMA?

It is not necessary to have a link to the University. Anyone over 16 years of age can enrol on a course.

Can I attend a class just to listen in?

No. Attending classes as an auditor is not allowed. You must be enroled on the course to attend classes.

Is class attendance mandatory?

To receive ECTS credits, you must attend at least 80% of the face-to face classes or the equivalent for blended learning classes.

For Administrative and Service staff, Teaching and Research staff, and Trainee Researchers, see the conditions in STUDENT PROFILES.

Are courses face-to-face or is there any online component?

Since March 2020, we have been offering all our courses online. In the future, and following the guidelines set out by the University of Málaga, we may once again be able to offer face-to-face and blended learning courses.

Will I get an attendance certificate?

Yes. An attendance certificate can be issued for any course you complete.

How many students are there in a group?

Between 12 to 15 students. The maximum number of students is 15 per group.

How can I change the time of my class in the second term?

You can request a change in group at or at the Language Centre secretariat by completing a form with your personal details and clearly stating the time period you would like to change to and your reasons for requesting the change. (See General regulations).

Group changes will be made so long as there are places available in the group and time requested.

How do I register on the Virtual Campus?

The university community should already have access to the VC through the link

Students without any links to the University should contact

Can I change to a higher level?

Once you have started your course, a request for a change to a higher level may only be granted with your teacher’s authorisation. It must be arranged in the Language Centre secretariat during the first thirty days of classes for annual courses and in the first week of intensive and four-month courses.

Can I go up to the next level if I fail the final exam?

All annual and four-month courses have a continuous evaluation component. This consists of a final test along with a written and oral evaluation. Therefore, you must receive a pass grade to go up to the next level.

Prices and enrolment

When is payment for a course made? Can I pay in instalments?

Payment is made during the enrolment period.

The option of paying in instalments is available for annual and four-month courses that cost €300 or more. This option is not available for workshops, intensive courses, or summer courses. Students who choose the PAYMENT IN INSTALMENTS system must pay 20% of the total enrolment fee upon completing their enrolment. The remaining 80% will be paid in instalments through a standing order payable to the account indicated for this purpose. This option is also available for course + exam packages that cost €300 or more. See Fees for more information.

What other discounts are available?

People who belong to the groups found in the following link can benefit from a 50% discount on the price of any training activity taught by the Language Centre.

Requirements to obtain said discounts:

  • You must belong to the UMA university community or the Alumni Association.
  • You must provide proof of belonging to said group by submitting the documents specified in this link.

The discount is only applicable for training activities, not accreditation exams.

Where and how do I enrol? When is the enrolment period?

Enrolment on all our courses and exams can be done online through the following link. For the enrolment process and documents required, see this section.

Enrolment periods:

Annual and four-month courses: enrolment from the beginning of September to the beginning of October

Courses held in the second term: January, face-to-face modality.

Intensive courses: according to the course and time of year

How do I submit my documents and payment?

Upload them to your Private Area in User Access.

Do I have to do a level test before completing enrolment and what does the test consist of? Can I repeat the level test?

Yes, you must do a level test if it is the first time you have enroled on a course. You do not need to do a level test if you are enroling on a beginner’s course (A1 level), or if you have passed a course at the Centre within the last two years, or you have proof of having passed an accredited exam.

The level test in English has two parts: a listening comprehension and written comprehension part; and a speaking part consisting of general and specific questions.

The level tests in French, German and Italian has two parts: a written part consisting of multiple-choice questions and a short written task; and a speaking part consisting of general and specific questions.

The test results only indicate the level the student may enrol in. Under no circumstances can it be used to certify or accredit a level.

The test can be retaken after a calendar year.

When do classes begin and where do I find information about the course?

Annual courses (first term) – mid-October

Four-month courses (second term) – mid-February

Summer intensive courses – beginning of July or September

Consult the classroom and faculty in your Private Area in Student Access.

How do I leave a course?

You can do this at any time during the course upon notification by email.

Important: Enrolment fees will not be refunded if you leave from a course.


How can I accredit my level in a foreign language to obtain my degree?

The FGUMA Language Centre offers the following options:

  • Linguaskill (A1-C1) exams and Cambridge Assessment English Qualifications (A1-C2)
  • DELF (B1 or B2) and DALF (C1 or C2) exams through the Alianza Francesa
  • CELI (A2 to C2 levels) exams through the Università per Straniere di Perugia

What is the CEFR?

The Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) establishes the levels necessary for reaching linguistic competency in a language. Six levels have been established (from beginner to mastery). Each level on the scale describes and lists the different skills students must show. Levels: A1 beginner, A2 preintermediate, B1 intermediate, B2 advanced intermediate, C1 advanced, and C2 mastery. See CEFR.

What is B1 level?

B1 is the CEFR level necessary for obtaining an undergraduate or master’s degree at the UMA. Nevertheless, for some undergraduate or post-graduate degrees, the minimum requirement is a B2 level on the CEFR. (Students should check with their faculty or centre’s secretariat).

Who recognises the accreditation exams offered by the FGUMA?

The Cambridge Assessment English, DELF/DALF, and CELI official accreditation are recognised internationally. They are included in the list of accreditations accepted by the UMA to certify a B1 level for undergraduate degrees.

Do the accreditation certificates expire?

No, the certificates issued by official accreditation institutions do not expire, although the receiving institution may set their own expiry date.